Monday, May 30, 2005

Reality tv

I find that one of the hardest things for me to do when I'm creating a video is to leave my ego and own way of doing things behind. This short historical program that I've been editing has created some tension between my boss and me. I've been trying to make a real dramatic piece, and he is always asking me to tone the mood down. Less dramatic, more "corporate."

Yesterday I caught a few mintues of a PGA golf tournament and one of their human interest stories and realized that my boss was right. The two-billion dollar corporation I'm creating this program for doesn't want the history of their company portrayed as it really was (I'm having to airbrush out some employees pictures who made problems). They want a glossy showpiece to motivate and inspire, without the dirt.

And so I will give them what they want. They are my client and they should get what they pay for. The world doesn't want the truth. And I have to admit; it makes my editing alot easier.

No comments: