Saturday, October 20, 2007

Doing well...good, ok

I guess there is a nerve that runs near the heart that affects your vocal cords. When they operated on Ian there was a little trauma to this nerve and his voice is very "small." Even when he throws a fit, it is hard to hear him if you're not in the same room. The surgeon assures us that it is a temporary condition, so we are not too concerned right now. It is so heartbreaking, though, to see Ian try to cry and only a little whimper comes out.

Other than that, he seems to be doing incredibly well. I would never have believed that he could go through heart surgery on a Monday and be sitting in the park on Saturday.

4 comments:

Jeffrey Goble said...

I'm so glad Ian's doing great.
"Developmental Delay" can stand for a lot of things. I remember baby Emma getting immunized, or getting her finger pinched, stuff like that. . . you could watch her realize what had happened, see her face screw up into a cry, and then, eventually, the crying would come out. Sometimes, now, I can act goofy enough to make her start laughing through her emerging tears and almost short-circuit the hurt. ;^)

bella said...

Glad to hear he is doing okay, "small" voice and all.
And yet, it is amazing, their bodies healing at such rapid rates in their babyhood and youth.

Kim Ayres said...

Meg was in hospital for well over a week after her heart operation - I'm really pleased Ian's doing so well :)

Tom said...

Elbog: I still haven't been able to get a smile out of Ian yet; mostly puzzled looks. Of course, I get that reaction from most people.

Isabel: I just couldn't believe how quickly he has healed. Really is amazing.

Kim: Thanks.