Tuesday, September 23, 2008

Living heroes

(Updated: I suppose I should give a quick reason why these folks made my hero list. )

I have quite a few heroes who have passed on, but thought I'd jot down a few who are still living (other than my family, of course).

In no particular order:
  • Jimmy Carter - He practices what he preaches, is a peacemaker, diplomat and cares for the least of the least.
  • Kofi Annan - Certainly a flawed man, but he worked tirelessly for human rights and justice and carried himself with a quiet strength. He's also from Ghana, where Annie grew up.
  • Asne Seierstad - She's a journalist and an author from Norway who travels tirelessly to tell small stories about people from Kabul to Chechnya. I envy her life.
  • Nanni Moretti - My favorite filmmaker. From Italy; I own most of his films and watch them over and over. Quirky, sad, lonely, funny, irritating.
  • Eugene Peterson - A true pastor's heart, author of books that always challenge me and translator of one of my favorite versions of the Bible. A gentle man who loves stories.
  • Gurinder Chadha - It takes real talent to tackle a subject like the role of Indian women in British society and make it so fun. And Gurinder seems to have a great personality to boot.
  • N.T. Wright - Renowned British theologian, his book Jesus and the Victory of God made what was once common new.
  • Peter Kreeft - The surfing philosophy professor. Always writing with a twinkle in his eye, his books give definition to some rather murky subjects.
  • Richard Dahlstrom - A pastor in Seattle that continues to mentor me through his blog and sermons.
  • Christiane Amanpour - Working on assignment with CNN, she always covers the hot spots with a level head and years of experience.
  • Colin Powell - Always trying to form international coalitions, trying to moderate between extremes, used by many leaders for their own gain, Colin Powell continues to remain dignified and a diplomat.
  • Sofia Coppola - Director of Lost in Translation, she knows how to capture nuance and subtlety. And if the behind the scenes documentary is true, she is one of the most laid back directors in Hollywood... a rarity.
  • Stanley Hauerwas - Has championed the cause of those with intellectual disabilities since the 1970's.
  • John Irving - A Prayer for Owen Meany. Period.
  • Paul David Hewson - OK, so I put Bono on the list. I truely do admire his determination for helping Africa. And I could listen to Vertigo anytime.
  • Mira Nair - Another excellent director who deals with cross-cultural issues. Start with Monsoon Wedding.
  • Julian Schnabel - Filmmaker and bold artist. Reminds me a lot of a friend of mine.
They say you can tell a lot about a person based on their heroes...

No comments: