Wednesday, May 24, 2006

Reconnecting

(revised) It's been very different than I imagined, this reconnecting with people I haven't talked to in twenty years. I woke up thinking about these "kids" I spent nearly four years with in high school. I've heard back from four of them so far, with details on a fifth.

It's making me think of things I hadn't thought of in... well, twenty years. The sand dunes in New Jersey on our senior trip. Writing a rather bad play for the student talent show. Singing a solo. Yes, a solo. It's a good thing, getting back in touch. It's fun to find out how twelve others who started out much like me crafted their lives. And "the good ole' days" can all too often maintain a mythological hold on us. It's important to make it real again. Concrete. Lived. Breathed.

It's good to go back. From time-to-time.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

"Na I'm gun tell ya one time one time only. Gotta tell ya 'gin gonna give ya paddlin.'

Sometimes going back can also hurt. Ouch.

Tom said...

Ahh, the good ole' days.