Monday, February 19, 2007

Rabbi Heschel

"When I was young, I used to admire intelligent people; as I grow older, I admire kind people."

That's a famous quote from the late Rabbi Abraham Joshua Heschel, one of my spiritual mentors. His book, God in Search of Man, helped me to better understand the difference between knowing and kneeling. Last night I started his work on The Prophets, and already I can't wait to find more time to spend with it. If you haven't read him, I highly recommend his earthy and "lived" perspective on life with God.

"The Greeks learned in order to comprehend. The Hebrews learned in order to revere. The modern man learns in order to use."

"God is not a hypothesis derived from logical assumptions... He is not something to be sought in the darkness with the light of reason. He is the light."

No comments: