Monday, July 02, 2007

Phew!

I feel like Tom Hanks in Cast Away as he sat on his patched together raft in the stormy seas. Over the weekend I narrowed down my fourteen-part philosophy series to a ten-part series. It'll save on time and some of the material can be condensed. I also learned that there are a lot of sharks out there when you're buying electronic equipment. Never, ever buy from New York City if you can help it. The price quoted on their website is NOT the actual price.

Dealer: "Ok, sir, I see you bought the PAL camera for use in Europe."

Me: "Uh, no, I live in MN."

Dealer: "Oh, you want that camera. That one costs $700 more. Yes, sir, it does say that on our website. It's on our products page... Not that page... The one at the bottom... Keep clicking... It's on page 18 of our terms... Now, did you want a battery and a power cord?"

I had this actual conversation twice, both dealers located in New York. Cancelled (at least I hope) both orders. I also tried to buy a cheap laptop from Craigslist, but it was too dicey. The guy wouldn't tell me where to meet him until a few minutes before we were supposed to meet and then he hung up on me.

Scammers... I hate them.

No comments: